ALDS: Baltimore Orioles vs. New York Yankees, Game 5 preview
With Alex Rodriguez watching from the sidelines, the battle of American League East foes comes down to a deciding game, because of course it does.
- ALDS Game 5: Friday, 5:07 p.m. ET, Yankee Stadium, New York
- TV: TBS (Ernie Johnson, Cal Ripken, Jr., John Smoltz, and Craig Sager), MLB.TV (subscription required)
- Weather: Clear skies, with temperatures in the low 50s. A small chance of some passing showers.
- Pitching matchup: Orioles' Jason Hammel (8-6, 3.43 ERA) vs.Yankees' CC Sabathia (15-6, 3.38 ERA)
- Odds: Yankees -199.
- Jason Hammel started Game 1 for the Orioles, and allowed two runs and four hits in 5 2/3 innings. He only allowed one extra-base hit, a first-inning double to Ichiro Suzuki, which scored the Yankees' first run.
- In his Game 1 start, Sabathia ran into trouble in the bottom of the third, when he allowed back-to-back singles to open the inning. After a sacrifice bunt, Lew Ford singled in both runners to give the Orioles a 2-1 lead. In 8 2/3 innings, Sabathia struck out seven, but allowed eight hits.
How they stack up
- Facing elimination, the Orioles traded runs with the Yankees in the fifth and sixth innings, respectively. It remained tied, 1-1 until the 13th, when the Orioles were able to scratch home a run to win Game 4 2-1.
Keep in mind
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.