UNCW women's hoops coaching search
As UNCW tries to replace Cynthia Cooper-Dyke, it seems players' choice won't get the job.
- When Cynthia Cooper-Dyke returned to Houston to coach Texas Southern, longtime assistant Jimmy Garrity was named interim coach and a leading candidate to take over the team.
- However, the university also interviewed Adell Harris, a coach at Division II Tusculum College in Tennessee.
- On Tuesday afternoon, tweets said that Harris, not Garrity, got the job. No one at the university would confirm the tweets, however.
- And that decision left players frustrated.
- If Harris is the coach, she inherits a team that would have returned virtually all of its returning points, rebounds, assists and steals from a group that went to a second consecutive Women's NIT. However, if the players are that disgruntled, who knows who stays or goes?
- UNCW put out a press release saying that its board of trustees executive committee would address an agenda item Wednesday in closed session in order to “establish or instruct the staff or agent concerning the negotiation of the amount of compensation or other terms of an employment contract". And after that, everyone could find out a little more about Adell Harris.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.