City of Joburg hosted JoburgNYE on the 31st of December 2016, a party that acts as a form of social cohesion for the cross over to the year 2017. This is a roundup of our favourite tweets, performances and thoughts on the event.
- JoburgNYE had a total number of 31 artists, 3 venues, 2 stages and 2 countdowns in 1 city. It was preceded by the #JoburgCarnival where we saw our Executive Mayor Herman Mashaba rocking threads that would surely get him kicked out of council, but most probably be celebrated in the artsy unorthodox parts of Johahnnesburg like Maboneng and Braamfontein.
- The two venues for JoburgNYE were Mary Fitzgerald Square in Newtown and the Soweto Theatre. Both venues were filled to capacity by the end of the night.
- We couldn't help but notice this fashionista, he is so next level we and we were never ready.
- The City went all in on supporting local talent.
- Some of the artists who took the stage include; Chomee, Reasonhd, Ciciworldwide, DbnNyts, DonaldinDenal, Tumi Tladi with his flips, Kelly Khumalo, Buffalo Soldier from Zim (who gave us a reggae rendition of Adele's 'Hello'), Bricks, Mr Ska Bora Moreki, African Roots, The Soil and Khuli Chana.
- And ofcourse, Mr Mayor Herman Mashaba and our ever stunning MMC for Community Development, Nonhlanhla Sifumba graced both JoburgNYE venues. Quite sadden by how Mayor Mashaba changed his outfit, we were loving the Joburg Carnival threads.
- You also know it's not City of Joburg without a little bit of humour, they say laughter is the best medicne. We don't know who 'they' are but we'll take it.