Tweeting terrorism: al Shabaab claims responsibility for mall attack
Kenyan officials took to Twitter on Monday to reassure the country that they are in command of the situation.
- Tech-savvy Somali Islamists took to their official Twitter account over the weekend to say their group, al Shabaab, was behind an attack that saw at dozens killed in a massacre at the upscale Westgate mall in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Meanwhile, the Kenyan government and local police also took to Twitter to inform the public and debunk false information.
Kenyan forces have been active in Somalia for two years. They blame al Shabaab, an al-Qaida-linked group, for terrorist acts including shootings and bombings.
- Al Shabaab confirmed only non-Muslims were targeted in the attack at the mall, which is said to be frequented by westerners.
- Note: "Kuffar" is a highly pejorative term used by Islamists to refer to non-Muslims. "Mujahideen" is another term for Jihadi or insurgent.
- The situation continued into Monday with Kenyan authorities pleading for calm and for locals to stay away from the mall for their own safety
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 5 already did!
- jackmattmy friend's half-sister makes $72 an hour on the internet. She has been laid off for six months but last month her pay check was $15553 just working on the...my friend's half-sister makes $72 an hour on the internet. She has been laid off for six months but last month her pay check was $15553 just working on the internet for a few hours. link www.jobs35.commore2013-09-23T09:26:32.336Z