Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia quits Twitter
On Tuesday, outspoken Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia told his followers he was quitting Twitter and deleting his account. The departure of the backstop, known for his frank and controversial tweets, did not go unnoticed.
- Arencibia's original annoucement, made in three successive tweets:
- Dirk Hayhurst, former Jays pitcher and on-air commentator who verbally sparred with Arencibia a few weeks ago, was among the first to notice.
- Much of the reaction was less than charitable, focusing on Arencibia's skill on the field. Batting .219 this season, he's made five errors, allowed 34 stolen bases and 10 passed balls.
- — Troy Willard (@TroyWillard)Tue, Jul 23 2013 08:49:03JP Arencibia quit twitter? Maybe he can use his free time to practice hitting, catching and being a professional athelte. #Useless
- — Dudgee (@Dudgee)Tue, Jul 23 2013 08:44:43JP Arencibia is quitting twitter. I wish he would take Brett Lawrie with him. Accessible is nice, but focus on baseball instead, please.
- — David Szpargala (@ShaggyDave640)Tue, Jul 23 2013 09:28:50Hopefully the shutdown of Arencibia's Twitter account makes him focus more on the game, you know, how to call one, catch, be consistent.
- — onebluejaysway (@onebluejaysway)Tue, Jul 23 2013 08:19:31JP Arencibia quitting twitter and praying for his haters. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out
- — Chris Lund (@chrisjlund)Tue, Jul 23 2013 09:02:45Given the way JP Arencibia has handled himself online I'd love to see his composure in a game 7 world series at-bat. May faint.
- — Mary Veinotte (@M_Veinotte)Tue, Jul 23 2013 09:22:20
- — Christian Fletcher (@Darth_Pingu)Tue, Jul 23 2013 09:38:48So now that Arencibia quit twitter, is it too much to ask him to also quit his whining, striking out and passed balls as well? #BlueJays
- Though most responses were anti-Arencibia, he did have his supporters:
- — nived howΔrd (@notdevinhoward)Tue, Jul 23 2013 08:21:05@jparencibia9 life is like catching a knuckleball, you'll never be perfect at it but you have to work hard everyday to be where you wanna be
- — cathalkelly (@cathalkelly)Tue, Jul 23 2013 09:05:54Arencibia should memorize Sontag's (not totally applicable here) dictum: Criticism "is the compliment mediocrity pays to genius." #jays
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.