The Manti Te'o scandal, in 30 posts
Manti Te'o's Twitter bio reads: "Life is a storm.. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes." Well, as we all know, that storm has most definitely come. Time to man up. Let's get started, shall we?
- The sports world and the nation are buzzing about new reports that Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o's alleged girlfriend -- a woman Te'o said died during the Fighting Irish's march toward the BCS National Championship Game -- never existed.Many incredulous fans and media critics took to the Internet to question how someone could fool Te'o for so long. Others suggested Te'o was somehow in on the hoax, although he and the university have vehemently denied any involvement.Here's a look at several threads surrounding all the Te'o talk.
- As the story first broke Wednesday and spread through social media, there was anger and disbelief.
- That quickly turned to a sense of betrayal. And unleashed the sarcasm of the betrayed.
- Those with experience in online dating refused to believe Te'o only communicated with the mysterious woman, Lennay Kekua, by phone and e-mail. After all, she was only in California, not Russia.
- I can't wait to hear what truth comes out about Te'o today at 3pm EST, but something smells really fishy. How did two early 20-something year olds, supposedly in a committed, loving relationship, not turn to Skype, Gchat, Google + hangouts or Facetime to keep in contact? Hell, even my internet-averse dad manages to use Google + hangouts.
- As the jokes escalated, players and fans began to speak out in support of Te'o.
- But Te'o and Notre Dame already said Kekua never existed and that they had been hoodwinked, remember? Perhaps they should have tuned in to the press conference.
- It also didn't help that people claiming to know the girlfriend was fake several months ago had tweeted about it, including this guy.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 13 already did!
- Paul Perryjust crazy2013-08-24T19:23:55.539Z
- Heatherherd1stI feel for him.2013-08-23T05:52:22.261Z
- TomGreenthumb"It's funny how the most opinionated people are the ones who know the least." - Well said.2013-08-14T00:23:44.293Z
- First Click Internet MarketingIt was really a shame.2013-08-12T11:09:27.816Z
- Tyler Collinsshame shame.. scandalous.2013-01-21T02:57:56.809Z