Apple Special Event, October 22, 2013
Apple is expected to make several announcements today, including possible updates to the iPad and iPad Mini lines, the new Mac Pro, and who knows what else?
- 9:40: About 20 minutes away from Apple's special event. You can watch it streaming live at this link. Well, you can watch it, so long as you're on a Mac using Safari or an iPhone using Safari. Thank you unlimited data plan.
- 9:54: My setup right now is my phone plugged in and charging and an auxiliary jack running from the phone to my work speakers. Any images you see will be coming from a combination of technology and witchcraft.
- 10:00: The copyright notice is up, which means it's up
- 10:05: Tim Cook: 9 Million iPhones sold in first weekend. Here comes the traditional "Hey here's our Apple Retail Store" at the beginning of the show.
- 10:06: These people all look so bright and cheery for waiting in line overnight. Where's the guy who waited a week in front of the store to get his?
- 10:08: Plenty of praise for the new iPhones that were announced and debuted last month. 200 million devices running iOS 7 after first five days. 64 percent are running iOS 7 now
- 10:08: That last number came with a jab at the fragmentation of Android operating systems.
10:09: iTunes Radio boasting 20 million listeners so far, listened to 1 billion songs. So 10 percent of users using iTunes Radio?10:10: 60 billion cumulative app downloads.10:12: Getting Craig Federighi talking about 10.9 Mavericks.
10:13: Getting more out of battery and hardware was a focus of the operating system. Boasting an extra hour of web browsing and an hour and a half more of video watching on iTunes.
10:14: Compressed memory work allows 6 gigs of data crammed into 4 gigs of RAM. Mavericks will also do a better job of allocating video memory when it's needed and when it's not needed.
- 10:16: Lots of reminders of features such as notifications and the Maps app that were discussed at WWDC in June.
- 10:18: Looking at the documents folder in the tags demo is a reminder I really need to clean the images out my download folder. It's been way too long.
- 10:20: iCloud Keychains showing off "Craig's" credit card number. Lots of attempts being made right now on that number I'm sure
- 10:21: The death of skeuomorphism (making technological bits look like their real life counterparts with lots of leather, etc.) is strong in this calendar demo10:25: Mavericks is free. No charge for this software update. That's a first for Apple on a 10.x release.
- 10:27: And now onto the Macbook Pro: It's thin and using Intel Haswell 4th gen and Iris. 9 hours of battery life, and 9 hours of "The Black Knight" (Methinks he meant Dark Knight).
- 10:29: 13" Macbook Pro going from $1,499 to $1,299. 2.4 Ghz Haswell, 128 GB SSD, 4 GB RAM
10:30: Iris Pro Graphics in the 15", also an option for NVIDIA GeForce 750 2GB.
10:31: 15: Macbook Pro goes to $1,999.
- 10:34: And now onto the hyperspace trash can, I mean Mac Pro.
- 10:36: This is the first significant upgrade in the Mac Pro in years. Lots of power in this guy, plenty of statistics coming down you'll have to see to believe in the images, because my fingers weren't that fast. But the price is coming in at $2,999. Nobody whooping over this one.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 1 already did!