The Queen visits Greenwich, 25 April 2012
The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, named the new Royal Row Barge 'Gloriana', re-opened Cutty Sark Gardens and the Cutty Sark and opened an exhibition at the National Maritime Museum.
- The Queen bestowed the status of Royal Borough on Greenwich in February 2012 to mark the Diamond Jubilee
- 'Gloriana' will lead the flotilla of over 1000 boats at the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant on Sunday 3 June
- Her Majesty re-opened the Cutty Sark five years after the ship was gutted by fire. The Queen first opened the 19th Century tea clipper - the world's oldest - to the public in 1957
- After visiting the Cutty Sark The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, opened the "Royal River: Power, Pageantry and the Thames" exhibition at the National Maritime Museum before having lunch at the Queen's House
- The Queen first visited the National Maritime Museum with her parents, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, and grandmother, Queen Mary, for its opening in 1937
- For more information about the Cutty Sark and National Maritime Museum visit rmg.co.uk
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.