75 of the best #overlyhonestmethods
Scientists making some frank and rather amusing admissions on how science is really done. I've collated 75 of my favourite overly honest methods. Enjoy!
- 75. Choosing the path of least resistance. Is it saving time or just lazy?
- 74. We all know science can misbehave...I have been assured this is a joke.
- — David C Logan (@angerstusson)Mon, Jan 07 2013 15:16:48"Experiment was repeated until we had three statistically significant similar results and could discard the outliers" #overlyhonestmethods
- 73. Did anyone send in that form on the top of the to-do pile?
- — Hassan Mamdani (@HassanMamdani)Tue, Jan 08 2013 08:16:20We didn’t show the structure because we forgot to patent it so only three people actually know what it is. #overlyhonestmethods
- 72. PIs making sure we don't forget the techniques of yesteryear.
- — Adriana Heguy (@AdrianaHeguy)Tue, Jan 08 2013 09:46:50A Northern blot was run instead of realtime QPCR because the PI is old and does not trust results unless he sees a band #overlyhonestmethods
- 71. Because "-methyl, -ethyl, -futile" methodology is simply amazing
- — Simon Leigh (@Simonleighuk)Tue, Jan 08 2013 09:42:29We varied functional group of synthesised molecule following the '-methyl, -ethyl, -futile' experimental methodology #overlyhonestmethods
- 70. It's sexy and you know it!
- — biochem belle (@biochembelle)Mon, Jan 07 2013 15:25:44We decided to use Technique Y because it's new and sexy, plus hot and cool. And because we could. #overlyhonestmethods
- 69. Some of the most important discoveries in science came about through accident.
- — Dr. Twittenheimer (@DrTwittenheimer)Tue, Jan 08 2013 09:14:27A modified protocol was implemented because a certain graduate student seems unable to follow simple instructions. #overlyhonestmethods
- 68. A lesson to all, but one of those things you just keep putting off...I know it's here somewhere.
- — Morgan Edwards (@mangoedwards)Tue, Jan 08 2013 09:11:13I can't send you the original data because I don't remember what my excel file names mean anymore #overlyhonestmethods
- 67. Shake it, shake it. Humm, we might need to put the song back on I don't think it's finished!
- 66. Have a break, take a stop watch.
- 65. That well know piece of lab equipment - blu-tac
- 64. Scientists love the planet - Reuse, recycle, re- forget it buy some more because it's clearly gone off.
- — Anne Osterrieder (@AnneOsterrieder)Tue, Jan 08 2013 06:30:11Buffers were prepared with the stock solutions inherited from the PhD student who left the lab a couple of years ago. #overlyhonestmethods