- Both 1977 and 2015 October, El Niño reaches a high record point. The sea level height is 180 mm higher than average.
- Also, the sea surface temperature in 2015 is up to 3 Celsius higher than usual in east equatorial area.
- Compare to 1977, the weekly average sea surface temperature has already beats the record before. So, what is El Niño exactly?
- When El Niño happens, the east trade wind will be weaken or even reversed, which cause the hot water move east, and bring precipitation in South America
- Usually we can find the pattern that in El Niño years, west coast country Peru will become wet and high rainfall. Which cause the unusual flood.
- On the other side, country in east South America also suffer in giant precipitation, such as Argentina Uruguay and South Brazil.
- El Niño weaken the ocean upwelling and decrease the nutrients concentration, which impact the local fisheries.
- The changing pattern of climate has, and will keep changing the life style and agriculture in South America.