Recruiting in June
The month of June has been a busy one for Austin-area football recruits. A look at who committed during the summer's first month
- Hendrickson senior Latrell Martin opened the month with a verbal commitment to Houston's Cougars. A wide receiver in the Hawks' run-heavy offense, Martin recorded 37 receptions in 2012 and he also had three touchdown catches.
- Colorado State and Illinois recruited Westwood's Bear Fenimore but he opted for the school that has recently produced Case Keenum and Kevin Kolb. "When I think of Houston, I think of (its) great quarterback history," he said.
- Calvin Anderson will help anchor an offensive line at Westlake that also features Will Copa and his multiple scholarship offers. Last year, Anderson was an all-district honoree on Georgetown's Class 4A, Division I runner-up team.
- Leander senior Greg Kelley, a six-foot, 200-pound safety, is the first member of the Roadrunners' fourth recruiting class. But he won't be the first Lion in San Antonio. Jarron Harris, a 2009 Leander graduate, is a senior defensive end for UTSA.
- The six-foot-six-inch, 270-pound Connor Lanfear will only be a junior this fall but he is continuing a trend on Hays' offensive line. Over the past two seasons, Boone Feldt and Reed Darragh have signed with North Texas and UTSA.
- During his sophomore year, you could find Marble Falls senior Garrett Gray on the basketball court instead of the football field. How did Gray do in return to football in 2012? He had 82 catches, 1,226 yards and 20 touchdown catches.
- An All-Central Texas honoree who had 115 tackles in 2012, Hendrickson DB Chance Waz committed to Colorado on June 11. When you factor in Waz, Martin and teammate Samaje Perine, an Oklahoma commit, Hendrickson has boasted nine FBS-level recruits since the start of the 2010 season.
- Westlake's Jordan Severt threw for 20 touchdowns in 2012 as the Chaparrals reached the semifinal round of the Class 5A, Division II playoffs. The other quarterback in SMU's 2014 recruiting class - Houston Lamar's Darrell Crayton - played in the Class 5A, Division I title game in 2012.
- Three days after teammate Chance Waz committed to Colorado, Hendrickson senior defensive back Trai Mosley pledged to Nebraska. According to Rivals.com, the five-foot-10-inch, 171-pound Mosley will be Nebraska's first Austin-area high school signee since Leander WR Curenski Gilleylen in 2007.
- Round Rock senior Robert Castaneda switched Big 12 schools on June 15. Castaneda decommitted from Kansas State, a school he pledged to in March, and committed to Texas Tech. The offensive lineman will feel more at home at Texas Tech, which had seven Austin-area products on its 2012 roster.
- Vista Ridge linebacker Micah Thomas, who has a few scholarship offers of his own, tweeted a shout-out on June 23 honoring Michael Epley, a District 25-4A rival from Leander who joined SMU's recruiting class. A defensive end, Epley had four sacks in 2012 for a Lion defense that allowed 11.5 point per game.
- Westwood senior Bear Fenimore, a Houston-bound QB, will be protected this fall by offensive lineman Brendan Moore, who has pledged to Maryland. On June 26, our Rick Cantu reported that Moore will be Maryland's first signee from the state of Texas since Carrollton Creekview's Jo Jo Walker in 2002.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.